Crockpot Beef and Root Veggie Stew
I had started a post about my on-again off-again “relationship” with my crockpot, which I thought was rather entertaining, although I may be the only one =) (do you share my sense of humour?). But sadly things are a bit hectic around here so I am not able to finesse that post to where it should be.
However, I still wanted to bring you a great recipe this week so I am keeping this post super simple…kinda like this dish.
This recipe is quick and easy, even with the browning of the meat and veggies.
I used to skip the browning step ALL the time but I have found it so worthwhile as far as flavour goes. It really doesn’t take long and I save some time by chopping the carrots while the meat is browning, the parsnips while the carrots are sautéing, the rutabaga while the parsnips are sautéing and so on.
This stew is hearty and full of good ol’ root veggie flavour, because it is, well, FULL of root veggies! Which we can all use more of!
I hope this stew warms you on these cold winter nights (it was -49 C with the wind chill here today!), which are hopefully coming to end. Spring is coming soon, right? Right? =).
Stay warm and nourished friends!
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 small onions, roughly chopped
5 parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and large dice
1 small rutabaga, peeled and large dice
2 cups beef broth (I use homemade)
6.5 oz tomato paste
2 lbs stewing beef, cut into chunks
extra virgin olive oil
fresh parsley, finely chopped, for garnish (optional)
- In a cast iron skillet or frying pan heat a small amount of oil over medium heat and sauté garlic and onions until softened or browned. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove garlic and onion to crock pot.
- Add more oil if necessary to pan and sear beef on all sides. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove beef to crock pot.
- Repeat with parsnips, sweet potato and rutabaga, briefly sautéing the veggies one at a time for a few minutes each adding more oil and salt and pepper to taste and removing each one to the crock pot as they are done. You do not want to cook the veggies, or meat you just want to cook them until browned.
- Once all of the veggies are done deglaze the pan with the broth, scrapping all of the bits off the bottom. Add this to the crockpot.
- Add in the tomato paste and salt and pepper to taste (I added about ½-1 tsp of each…but remember…I like salt =) )
- Turn the crockpot on low and cook overnight or for 8-10 hours.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and enjoy!
See the links below for all of the recipes in my Crockpot, Casserole and Cook Ahead Series.
Sweet Potato Frittata (Paleo, grain, gluten and dairy free)
Low Carb Shepherd’s Pie with Roasted Veggies (grain & dairy-free)
Beef and Cabbage Roll Casserole (paleo, grain, gluten and dairy free)
Soaked Buckwheat Waffles (gluten free, dairy free, sugar free)